Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Beginning

This is the house where it all began for me.
Charleston Township - early 1940

I am a lady that was born on a rural dairy farm in the early 40's in northeastern Pennsylvania to a Christian family.  My parents had a love for the land and the animals that God entrusted to their care.  We were surrounded by many cousins, aunts. uncles and grandparents along with neighbors that took an interest in us and shared the good and the bad times with us.

It is my hopes that with this blog, I can recapture some of those stories that were told at threshing time, ladies aides, church gatherings, grange meetings, milk meetings, family gatherings, holiday meals, and just little snippets of things that are stored in my memory that might be of interest to my grandchildren and great-grandchildren at a later time.

My parents purchased this home in Catlin Hollow in the late 30's and started to work on the farm, clearing the land.   From what I understand, the house didn't have any windows and that was the first task, no inside plumbing. The farm they purchased was originally the McInroy Farm and had not been occupied for many years.  In my research of Catlin Hollow, the McInroy Family was among the first families to settle in Catlin Hollow.  My mother was currently working at Corning Glass and attending college in Mansfield and trying to help my father.  It sounded like a busy household back then.

The barn with the milkhouse to the left.

My parents started farming with a team of horses, and my Grandpa Gerow always said that my mother was really good with a team, as she was the oldest in her family of five girls, so she learned at an early age to work the team.

This is Dutch and Ned the horses and cousin Eugene; they are getting ready to spread manure.

This is a beginning of the story I hope to continue as I find time to post, hopefully it will be of interest to my family members over the years.  I know I have enjoyed my rural upbringing and have wonderful memories of my parents and brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment